Avoid any last-minute food outings, by preparing freezer meals with 100 percent whole-food ingredients. Seriously Good Freezer Meals (Robert Rose, 2018) by Karrie Truman offers all the encouragement, guidance and delicious recipes for both beginners and advanced freezer cooks to help save time and money while giving yourself and family a healthy happy meal. Truman’s recipes range from homemade sweet milk waffles straight out of her great-grandmother’s recipe box to healthy homemade empanada hand pies filled with Spanish rice and cheese to eat for an afternoon snack, on the go lunch or weekend brunch. The following excerpt is from the “Soups, Stews, and Chilis” chapter.
One of my most requested recipes from family and friends is this coconut cashew curry soup. You will love the rich taste, deep flavors and crunch of the salty cashews.
• 2 lbs (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic salt
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
• 1 onion, quartered
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
• 1 tsp (5 mL) minced or grated fresh ginger
• 1/2 jalapeño pepper
• 2 cans (each 14 oz/398 mL) coconut milk
• 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth or Homemade Chicken Stock
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) curry powder
• 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
• 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried basil
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) salted roasted cashews
1. Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt. In a large wok or skillet over high heat, heat vegetable oil until smoking. Working in batches, add chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until no longer pink inside and slightly crispy on one or two edges. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
2. In a blender or food processor, combine onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeño; blend on high until smooth. Add coconut milk, chicken broth, curry powder, salt and pepper; blend until smooth.
Make It Now
In a large saucepan, combine chicken and any accumulated juices, coconut milk mixture and dried basil. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes to deepen flavors. Remove from heat. Ladle into bowls and top with cashews, plus cilantro, fresh basil and jalapeño, if using.
Make It a Freezer Meal
Let chicken cool completely. Pour chicken, coconut milk mixture and dried basil into a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze. Place cashews in a quart-size (1 L) freezer bag and seal. Place both bags in another gallon bag and seal together.
Thaw and Cook
Place soup in refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw, or run lukewarm water over bag until you can break soup apart. Pour bag contents into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes to deepen flavors. Remove from heat. Ladle into bowls and top with cashews, plus cilantro, fresh basil and jalapeño, if using.
Karrie Truman is an urban homesteader wannabe who is the proud owner of the blog Happy MoneySaver. The site is currently ranked number 1 on Google search engines for the term “freezer meals” and, on average, garners 1 million unique monthly page views, has over 600,000 unique visitors and reaches 215,000+ through social media.
Karrie has worked with brands including Frigidaire, Quaker, Albertsons and Kimberly-Clark. She has been quoted in The Wall Street Journal and The Huffington Post, and featured in All You magazine and her local news. Karrie resides in eastern Washington.
More from Seriously Good Freezer Meals:• Mascarpone Key Lime Pie Recipe
• Lemon Dill Tilapia Taco Recipe
Courtesy of Seriously Good Freezer Meals: 150 Easy Recipes to Save Your Time, Money and Sanity by Karrie Truman © 2017 www.robertrose.ca Available where books are sold.