The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook (Skyhorse Publishing, 2013), by Wendy Polisi, provides more than 200 pages of gluten-free, quinoa-inspired, easy-to-follow recipes. Polisi includes nutritional information and photos for every recipe and alternative ingredients and preparation methods for many of the dishes. The following excerpt from the chapter “Baking” is a recipe for cinnamon carrot muffins.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook.
Cinnamon Carrot Muffins Recipe
• 1 cup gluten-free all purpose quinoa flour blend
• 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
• 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/3 cup dairy or soy milk
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 2 room-temperature eggs or flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 6 tablespoons warm water)
• 1/4 cup applesauce
• 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups shredded carrots
• Cinnamon drizzle, optional
• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 tablespoon almond milk or milk of choice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 9 paper cups. If using flax eggs, combine 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons warm water. Whisk well and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine gluten-free flour blend, cooked quinoa, coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
3. Combine milk and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside to curdle. If using flax eggs, combine 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons warm water. Set aside to thicken.
4. In a medium bowl combine milk mixture, eggs or flax eggs and applesauce. Whisk until well combined. Add coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir until combined and then add wet mixture to the dry mixture.
5. Stir in carrots until just combined and spoon batter into cups. Bake for 22 to 28 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Top with cinnamon drizzle if desired.
7. To make cinnamon drizzle, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Add additional milk until desired texture is achieved.
Calories 221, Fat 9.4g, Carbohydrates 31.4g, Protein 3.4g, Cholesterol 36mg, Sodium 251mg, Fiber 1.2g, Sugars 10.4g
Optional Cinnamon Drizzle
Calories 28, Fat .2g, Carbohydrates 6.8g, Protein 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 0mg, Sugars 6.6g
More from The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook
Excerpted with permission from The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook: Eat Great, Lose Weight, Feel Healthy by Maria Wendy Polisi. Copyright 2013, Skyhorse Publishing, Inc. Buy this book from our store: The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook.