Homemade stock makes this chili more richly flavored than anything in a can.
Planning Note: This recipe freezes well.
Chicken and White Bean Chili Recipe
• 1 pound dry cannellini, cassoulet or Great Northern beans (or substitute canned beans with their liquid and reduce cooking time to 20 minutes)
• 8 cups Homemade Chicken Stock
• Chopped mushroom stems and leftover roasted peppers, mushrooms, onions
• 1 cup sliced celery (prepped Saturday)
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
• 2 teaspoons sea salt
• 1 pound crushed or diced tomatoes, with their juices
• About 1 cup leftover pulled chicken, refrigerated or frozen
• 1⁄2 to 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped (prepped Saturday)
• Sea salt and pepper
1. Rinse and soak dry beans overnight. Rinse soaked beans before proceeding. (Cover and refrigerate soaked beans if not proceeding to next step immediately.)
2. In a crockpot set to its lowest setting or in a soup pot, cook beans until tender with all ingredients except chicken and kale.
3. When beans are tender (4 to 6 hours in a crockpot or about 1 hour on stovetop), stir in chicken and kale. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Find more recipes and tips for successful meal planning in Cook Once, Eat All Week.