Carrot jam is great on a cheese tray or in a sandwich.
Carrot Jam Recipe
• 1 pound carrots, coarsely grated (about 2-1⁄2 cups)
• 1-1⁄2 cups sugar
• 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
• 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• One 3-inch cinnamon stick
• 8 whole cloves
• 1⁄2 cup water
• Pinch grated nutmeg
1. In a heavy-bottom pan, combine carrots, sugar, lemon zest and juice and salt. Bundle whole spices in cheesecloth and add to carrots. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. The next day, add water and nutmeg to carrot mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, until syrup has mostly evaporated and is thick and orange, and carrots are glossy, about 30 minutes. If you overboil carrots, they become gluey.
3. Discard spice bundle. Let jam cool to room temperature, then refrigerate. Or, water bath can jam, processing 2 half-pint jars containing hot jam and 1⁄4-inch headspace for 10 minutes. Makes 1 pint.
Find more great ways to savor your fall harvest in our Guide to Fall Food Preservation.
Recipe reprinted from The Kitchen Ecosystem by Eugenia Bone.