With this Breakfast Popover recipe the most important meal will no longer be neglected.
“Kitchen Simple,” by James Peterson, makes cooking uncomplicated again. With a plethora of recipes to remind cooks that creating delicious meals doesn’t need to be time consuming or difficult anyone can cook themselves happier.
James Peterson, author of Kitchen Simple (Ten Speed Press, 2011), reminds home cooks that good food isn’t necessarily complicated. In his most recent book, Peterson offers a diverse collection of over 200 satisfying, quick and easy recipes. The following excerpt from "Breakfast" is for simple Breakfast Popover Recipe.
Purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Kitchen Simple.
If you want a popover mold, look for a heavy, preferably cast-iron mold that will retain the heat and deliver it immediately to the batter. If you don’t have a popover mold, use a muffin pan.
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 eggs
• 2 cups milk
• 6 tablespoons butter, melted
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• Butter, honey, or jam, to serve
1. In a bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Add the eggs and 1 cup of the milk and whisk until smooth. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of milk and the melted butter. Let rest for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Transfer the batter into a pitcher to make it easier to pour it into the mold. Slide the popover mold into the oven and give it 5 minutes to get hot.
3. Working quickly, brush the mold with vegetable oil and immediately pour in enough batter to come two-thirds up the sides of each cup in the molds and slide the pan into the oven, keeping the oven door open as little as possible. The batter should immediately begin to rise.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the popovers have risen and turned golden brown, Turn the oven down to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 10 minutes more to dry them out in the centers.
5. Serve immediately with butter, honey, and jam. Makes 8 large, or 12 small, popovers
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from Kitchen Simple: Essential Recipes for Everyday Cooking by James Peterson and published by Ten Speed Press, 2011. Purchase this book from our store: Kitchen Simple.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE