Start your morning off with a dose of healthy carbs and vitamin B6 in this Breakfast Fried Rice and Scramled Eggs recipe.
The healthy carbs in brown rice, antioxidants in vegetables and protein in eggs combine in Breakfast Fried Rice with Scrambled Eggs.
Think outside the (cereal) box: Fried rice is a great way to fuel up with healthy carbs in the morning. With brown rice and lots of fresh vegetables, this recipe is a nutritious take on fried rice and is high in vitamin B6. Lop chong is a dried, cooked Chinese sausage with a slightly sweet and smoky flavor; it will require a trip to the Asian grocery store, but you can also choose to leave it out.
This healthy recipe comes from Marwan Sabbagh and Beau MacMillan's book The Alzheimer's Prevention Cookbook. Find more of their recipes in Brain-Healthy Foods: The Anti-Alzheimer's Diet.
• 2 tablespoons chopped lop chong (optional)
• 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
• 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
• 1 tablespoon peeled, chopped
• fresh ginger
• 1 green onion, white and green parts, chopped
• 2 tablespoons diced red onion
• 1 to 2 leaves baby bok choy, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
• 5 sugar snap peas, cut into thin diagonal strips
• 2 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
• 4 tablespoons soy sauce
• 4 tablespoons mirin
• 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (for garnish)
• 2 tablespoons toasted cashews, chopped (for garnish)
• 1 green onion, white and green parts, cut into thin diagonal strips (for garnish)
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
1. In a large wok or skillet over high heat, fry lop chong until rendered, less than a minute. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and discard fat.
2. Heat wok until very hot. Add oil, then garlic, ginger and vegetables. Cook while stirring for 1 minute, or until vegetables have softened and you can smell the ginger.
3. Add rice and continue to cook while stirring until everything is coated, 2 to 4 minutes. Add soy sauce and mirin, and toss well. Remove wok from heat.
4. To cook eggs, heat a small skillet over medium. Add olive oil or butter and pour in beaten eggs. Cook, gently stirring until scrambled but moist.
5. Transfer fried rice to a serving bowl and top with eggs. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, toasted cashews, green onion and cilantro; serve right away. Serves 4.
Adapted with permission from The Alzheimer's Prevention Cookbook: Recipes to Boost Brain Health by Marwan Sabbagh and Beau MacMillan available in the Mother Earth Living store.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE