You can make this homemade blue cheese dressing exactly how you like it—chunky or creamy.
For best nutrition, use grass-fed dairy products. Chill for 1 hour before serving.
Find other great alternatives for store bought dressings in Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes.
• 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup thick, tangy sour cream or plain full-fat yogurt
• 1 to 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, cider vinegar or sherry vinegar
• Pinch stevia (optional)
• Pinch cayenne (optional)
• Several twists freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 to 3/4 cup cultured buttermilk
• 1 tablespoon chopped chives or garlic chives
Chunky dressing: Whisk together all ingredients except blue cheese, and stir in the crumbled cheese at the end.
Creamy dressing: Purée everything except buttermilk and chives in a food processor. Add buttermilk until desired consistency is reached, then stir in chives. For a dipping sauce, use less buttermilk. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Note: Experiment with blue cheeses to find your favorite. Two of my top picks are Caveman Blue from Rogue Creamery in Oregon and Bayley Hazen Blue from Jasper Hill Farm in Vermont. Both are incredibly buttery, made from raw cow’s milk and sustainably produced.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE