For different effects, substitute dry white wine for the beer, salt for the fish sauce, lime or lemon juice for the vinegar, and double or even triple the honey. To spice it up, add cayenne or finely diced jalapeño.
Try making all of your condiments at home. Read Homemade Condiments: Recipes for Ketchup, Mustard and More.
• 3/4 cup brown or yellow mustard seeds, or a mix
• 1/3 cup beer (brown ale, porter or stout)
• 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
1. In a bowl with a lid, stir together all ingredients. Set aside on your kitchen counter for a couple of days, or in the fridge for a few days. Forget about it for a while.
2. When you remember it’s there, pour everything into a food processor and purée until smooth. Use immediately and for the next several months. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE