Bake a batch of these chewy oat bars on the weekend for a quick breakfast option all week. Top with yogurt or fruit if desired. Substitute walnuts for pistachios or apricots and raisins for figs.
• 8 cups steel-cut oats
• 1 cup pistachios
• 1/4 cup plain yogurt
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 6 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup milk
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1 orange
• 1 cup chopped dried Mission figs
1. Spoon oats into a large mixing bowl, add pistachios, and cover with warm water by 2 inches. Stir in yogurt and cover bowl with a kitchen towel. Set bowl in a warm spot and allow to soak for 8 to 12 hours.
2. Drain oat mixture in a fine-mesh sieve, rinse well, and return it to mixing bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with butter.
4. Stir cinnamon, salt, eggs, milk and honey into oat mixture until well blended.
5. Finely grate zest of the orange, placing it in a bowl. Cut orange in half and squeeze juice into bowl with zest. Stir zest and juice into oat mixture, then fold in figs.
6. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and smooth. Cut butter into small pieces and scatter over the surface.
7. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until golden at the edges and slightly wobbly at the center. Cool 5 minutes before serving. Baked oats will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To reheat, melt a tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat, add a square of baked oats and cook until warm, about 3 minutes.
Find more great healthy breakfast recipes in Delicious & Quick Morning Meals.