Baked mushrooms go with many meals, and they’re great on a party snack table.
Baked Mushrooms Recipe
• 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
• 25 to 30 open-capped mushrooms, trimmed, stems removed
• 1 cup olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• Juice of 2 lemons
• Small amount of grated lemon zest (avoid the bitter white pith)
• 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
• 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, ground
• Sea salt and pepper, to taste
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
• Lemon wedges, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread coconut on a baking sheet and bake until slightly browned.
2. Place mushrooms trimmed side up in a roasting pan that can go under a broiler.
3. Combine coconut with remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Spoon mixture into mushrooms evenly, cover loosely with foil, and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Broil at the last minute to brown the top.
4. Garnish with cilantro and lemon. Serves 8.
Substitutions: Try making 6 to 8 large mushrooms, such as portobellos. For a variation on the stuffing, experiment with ground nuts, chopped spinach, olive oil and garlic.
Healthy Tidbit: Mushrooms are a powerful immune stimulant.
Find more recipes and learn managing inflammation in Prevent Illness with the Anti-Inflammatory Diet.
Adapted from The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies—and More by Jessica K. Black. Black’s book contains 125 delicious recipes, plus research supporting her recommended dietary choices.