This Autumn Harvest Soup recipe from the Edible Schoolyard book is made with organic vegetables, a nutritious choice as the beginning course or to pair with fresh bread or rolls for your main meal.
This Autumn Harvest Soup recipe is an organic soup featured in the Edible Schoolyard recipe book.
This Autumn Harvest Soup recipe is the perfect choice for a warm, nutritious soup using organic ingredients.
From the Edible Schoolyard
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 leeks (white part), thinly sliced
• 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
• 3 stalks celery, chopped
• 3 cups pumpkin, peeled and cubed
• 3 cups various squash, cubed
• 5 sprigs thyme
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 tablespoons parsley, minced
• 4 cups water or vegetable stock
• 1 bunch chard, chopped
• 5 medium tomatoes, diced small
• 3/4 cup bulgur, soaked in water until tender and drained
• freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in large stock pot and sauté leeks, carrots, and celery for five minutes.
2. Add pumpkin, squash, thyme, garlic, and parsley.
3. Add water (or stock) and simmer until pumpkin and squash are tender—about 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Add chard, tomatoes, and bulgur and simmer another 10 minutes.
5. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Read more about Alice Water's Edible Schoolyard program: Children Learn Organic Gardening and Cooking at the Edible Schoolyard.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE