The Blender Girl (Ten Speed Press), by Tess Masters, offers 100 gluten-free, vegan recipes that are healthy whole-food concoctions to nourish your body and satisfy your taste buds. It also offers food education with nut-milk cheat sheets, soaking and sprouting chart and nutrient guides. The following excerpt from Chapter 4, "Appetizers, Snacks, Dips & Spreads," is a recipe for artichoke and white bean dip.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: The Blender Girl.
A healthier alternative to dairy-laden dips, this artichoke and white bean dip is like hummus on steroids, and it tickles your taste buds with every bite. My friends love it with raw veggie sticks, pita chips, or flatbreads, or spread on wraps and sandwiches. The rosemary flavor intensifies if the dip stands or is chilled overnight, so if that herb’s not a favorite, use half the amount called for. I’ve been known to devour it with almond crackers, directly out of the blender carriage. Yeah, I’ve got issues.
Artichoke and White Bean Dip Recipe
• 1/4 cup (60ml) cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup (60ml) unsweetened almond or soy milk (strained if homemade)
• 1 (14-ounce/400g) can artichoke hearts, plain (not marinated), well rinsed and well drained
• 1 (15-ounce/425g) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1-1/2 tablespoons diced yellow onion
• 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
• 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary (not dried)
• 1 teaspoon natural salt
• 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Throw everything into your blender and puree for about 1 minute, until smooth and creamy like hummus. (If you’re using a conventional blender, you may need a tablespoon of water to help the blades do their work.)
2. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
More Recipes from Blender Girl
Reprinted with permission from The Blender Girl by Tess Masters, copyright (c) 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House LLC. Photography (c) 2014 by Anson Smart. Buy this book from our store: The Blender Girl: 100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes.