Create dish after dish of fall flavor with The Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookbook: Delicious Recipes for Sweets, Treats, and Other Autumnal Delights (Sterling, 2014). Author Stephanie Pedersen offers everything from homey baked goods to savory dinners, all fragrant with pumpkin pie spice. The following recipe from “Sweets” is for an apple cheesecake recipe.
Pumpkin pie spice and delicious apples give cheesecake a fresh, autumnal flavor. This is a must-try for anyone who has a hard time deciding between apple pie and cheesecake at dessert time.
Spicy Apple Cheesecake Recipe
• 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
• 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
• 3 tablespoons white sugar
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice
• 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
• 2 (8 ounce) packages cream-cheese, softened
• 1⁄2 cup white sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1⁄3 cup white sugar
• 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
• 4 cups tart apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
• 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and melted butter; press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. Mix at medium speed until smooth.
4. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
5. Blend in vanilla.
6. Pour filling into the baked crust.
7. In a small bowl, stir together 1⁄3 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Toss the spice-sugar with the apples to coat.
8. Spoon apple mixture over cream cheese layer and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes.
10. With a knife, loosen cake from rim of pan. Let cool, then remove the rim of pan.
11. Chill cake before serving.
How Many Calories?
If you were to eat one teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, you’d be consuming 6 calories. You’d also get 1% of your body’s daily requirement for calcium and Vitamin C, and 2% of your requirement for iron.
More Recipes from The Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookbook
Reprinted with permission from The Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookbook © 2014 by Stephanie Pedersen, Sterling Publishing Co.