Try this Ambrosia Dessert recipe as a part of a healthy holiday meal.
This recipe tastes as good as it sounds and is a wonderfully healthy, delicious holiday dessert. The pecans are cardiovascular-friendly, the oranges are high in vitamin C, and the coconut contains calcium. This light dessert is the perfect way to clean your palate after a holiday meal.
• 6 to 9 cups orange sections
• 1 cup grated coconut, fresh or dried
• Honey, Sucanat, or sugar to taste
• 1 cup chopped pecans
1. Working over a large bowl (to catch the juices), peel the oranges, using a knife to cut away the white membrane on the outer edge of the orange. For more health benefits, leave some of the white “rag” on the sections—it’s a good source of bioflavonoids.
2. Place the orange sections in a bowl along with any juices. Add the grated coconut (if you use dried coconut, it will absorb some of the orange juice) and your choice of sweetener. Stir the mixture and refrigerate. Add the pecans before serving. Serves 6.
Christopher Hobbs, L.Ac., A.H.G. is an herbalist and botanist with more than thirty years of experience with medicinal herbs. Beth Baugh has been integrating medicinal herbs into natural foods cuisine for more than twenty years.
Read the article Healthy Holiday Feast Recipes for more healthy holiday dishes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE