Try this extra brain-healthy Ahi Tuna recipe on Rye with a Spinach Pesto Yogurt.
Ahi Tuna on Rye is not your average tuna sandwich, with its extra brain-healthy ingredients.
This is not your average tuna sandwich. For one thing, it’s more like tuna tartare on bread. It’s also extra brain-healthy. Our Spinach Pesto Yogurt, not mayonnaise, holds the mixture together. Tuna is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, pistachios provide vitamin E, and raisins are a good source of polyphenol antioxidants. Because the tuna is raw, be sure to purchase sashimi-grade tuna; ask the fishmonger if you aren’t sure about the quality.
This healthy recipe comes from Marwan Sabbagh and Beau MacMillan's book The Alzheimer's Prevention Cookbook. Find more of their recipes in Brain-Healthy Foods: The Anti-Alzheimer's Diet.
• 8 ounces sashimi-grade ahi tuna, diced small
• 2 tablespoons Spinach Pesto Yogurt (recipe listed later in this article)
• 2 tablespoons raisins
• 1/4 cup shelled, unsalted roasted pistachios, chopped
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• 4 slices whole-grain rye bread, toasted
• 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
• 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a medium bowl, combine tuna, Spinach Pesto Yogurt, raisins, pistachios and lemon juice. Mix well.
2. Divide tuna mixture evenly on 2 slices of bread. In a small bowl, drizzle alfalfa sprouts with olive oil. Toss to combine. Top each portion of tuna with half the sprouts and remaining slices of bread. Cut each sandwich in half and serve right away. Makes 2 sandwiches.
• 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
• 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup pine nuts
• 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
• 1 clove garlic, peeled
• Juice of 1 lemon
• Pinch salt
• Pinch freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup plain yogurt
1. Combine all ingredients except yogurt in a blender and purée.
2. Pour mixture into a bowl and whisk in yogurt. Serve slightly chilled. The mixture will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Makes about 3 cups.
Adapted with permission from The Alzheimer's Prevention Cookbook: Recipes to Boost Brain Health by Marwan Sabbagh and Beau MacMillan available in the Mother Earth Living store.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE