If you are looking for exciting vegetarian appetizers, check out Vegetarian Party Food (Hardie Grant Books, 2018) by Jessica Oldfield. Inside you will find recipes ranging from unique dips to mini-sandwiches all including vibrant veggies. This recipe can be found in chapter 5, “Vegan.”
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) Vegan Mayo (see below)
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo, crushed into a paste
- 4 tablespoons Spiced Guacamole (see below)
- 10–12 salted, round corn chips
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve (optional)
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) broccoli, broken into finger-sized florets, seasoned, roasted at 200ºC (400ºF/Gas 6) until edges are crispy
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) cauliflower, broken into finger-sized florets, seasoned, roasted at 200ºC (400ºF/Gas 6) until golden and edges are crispy
- makes about 250 g (9 oz)
- 300 g (10 1/2 oz) silken tofu
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the tofu in a sieve, cover with a kitchen towel and sit over a bowl.
- Place a heavy object on top and compress the tofu for 15 minutes.
- Discard the drained liquid.
- Blend the tofu and all the other ingredients until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- 4 avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- juice of 2 limes, plus lime wedges to serve
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika, plus extra to garnish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon habanero chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- bunch of coriander (cilantro), stalks finely chopped, leaves picked
- Put all ingredients except the coriander leaves in a bowl and mix well.
- Top with the coriander, sprinkle with extra paprika, if liked, and serve with lime wedges.
- Stir the chipotle paste into the mayo until well combined.
- To assemble the tacos, dollop the guacamole onto the corn chips, then place a piece each of cauliflower and broccoli on top and drizzle over a little chipotle mayo.
- Repeat with all the remaining ingredients.
- Serve with lime wedges, if liked.
Recipes excerpted with permission from Vegetarian Party Food by Jessica Oldfield, published by Hardie Grant Books September 2018, RRP $19.99 paperback.