This garlic aioli recipe brings together olive oil, garlic and lemon for a tongue-tingling mayonnaise that can be used as a veggie dip or sandwich condiment.
Olive oil, garlic and lemon come together in various forms across the Mediterranean region to flavor fish and vegetables. In this version from Provence, they take the form of a tongue-tingling mayonnaise that can be used as a veggie dip, spread on toasted baguette slices or served with boiled eggs. For more garlic recipes, read the original article, Garlic Goodness: Recipes and Growing Tips.
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• Pinch of salt
• 1 large egg yolk
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. If you have a mortar and pestle sitting idly on a shelf, this is a great time to dust them off. If not, use a food processor. Mash or blend garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt.
2. Whisk yolk, lemon juice and mustard together in a separate bowl.
3. Gradually add oil to yolk mixture, whisking until mixture is emulsified.
4. Whisk in garlic paste and season with salt and pepper. If aïoli is too thick, whisk in 1 to 2 drops of water. Chill until ready to use.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE