This aromatic, low-cost extract is not only useful to have at home, but a small bottle makes the perfect gift. Adjust the measurements for any amount you wish to make.
- 20 Grade B bourbon vanilla beans
- One 1-quart glass jar with fitted lid
- 1 quart 80-proof vodka
- Small funnel
- Eight 4-ounce dark glass bottles
- Slice the vanilla beans in half lengthwise, and, if you want, scrape out the vanilla flecks inside.
- Place all the vanilla beans and vanilla flecks into the quart jar, pour the vodka over them, and screw the lid on tightly. Store the jar in a cool, dark location.
- Every few days, give the jar a shake. You can use the extract after 8 weeks, but it will be even better after 6 months to 1 year.
- When the extract is ready, use the funnel to pour it into the dark glass bottles, leaving a little headspace in each. If you’d like, trim the used vanilla beans to the height of the bottles, and add 4 pieces to each bottle to increase the flavor of the extract as it steeps.
Adapted with permission from Kimberly Killebrew and her blog, The Daring Gourmet.