According to The Meals to Heal Cookbook (Da Capo Press, 2017) nutrition is a vital component of anyone's fight against cancer, but loss of appetite and side effects of treatment can make even the simple act of eating a challenge. Created by oncology-credentialed registered dietitians, these delicious, nourishing, easy-to-prepare dishes are full of the nutrients you need to maintain strength during treatment. Loaded with essential nutrition info and recipes coded by common symptoms and side effects (including fatigue, nausea, digestive issues, mouth sores, taste and smell aversion, and others).
This no-cook porridge is an easy-to-make breakfast that just requires a little preparation the night before. If sensitive to spices, reduce or omit the cardamom, cinnamon, or nutmeg. This porridge will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Portion into individual jars for easy access.
For the porridge
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/3 cup almond meal or ground almonds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped or slivered almonds
- 2 kiwis, peeled and chopped
- Drizzle of pure maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Soak the buckwheat overnight in 2 to 3 cups of water.
- The next day, drain and rinse the buckwheat. It may look a little slimy, but that is normal.
- Place the buckwheat along with the almond meal, chia seeds, apples, raspberries, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple syrup in a high-speed blender and blend until it becomes creamy and smooth in texture. Add up to 1 cup more of water, if needed, a little bit at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Scoop into jars or bowls and add the toppings.
For more from The Meals to Heal Cookbook visit:
Adapted from The Meals to Heal Cookbook: 150 Easy, Nutritionally Balanced Recipes to Nourish You During Your Fight with Cancer by Susan Bratton and Jessica Iannotta, MS, RD, CDO, CDN. Copyright ©2016. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.