Try these tips for slowing down while eating or anytime during the day. Try one for a week and see what works for you!
To eat mindfully, try taking smaller first portions of food, and consider each bite before you eat it.
Photo by iStock; ermingut
• Try taking smaller first portions than you usually would. (Keep serving bowls out of sight.)
• Eat more slowly than you usually would, paying full attention to each bite, and pausing between bites, letting the flavors dissipate before the next bite.
• Aim to eat until you are 4/5 full, a principle associated with the island of Okinawa, known for its long-lived and healthy population. A proverb translates as something like, “The first four-fifths are to nourish you, the last fifth will make the doctor wealthy.”
• If you need to talk, talk while you’re pausing. Stop talking when you’re eating.
• When you’ve eaten the first portions, pause and consult the stomach: How full is it? Do you need more? How much more?
• Adjust second portions to this information. Maybe you’re hungry for another cup of food. Maybe you only need two more bites of a food to feel satisfied.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE