Naturally Lean (Da Capo, 2016), by Allyson Kramer proves that low-calorie doesn’t have to mean low satisfaction; these gluten-free, plant based recipes are high in nutrients, have less than 300 calories per serving — and they taste amazing. There are no fillers, no added or refined sugars, and no processed ingredients you can’t pronounce. This excerpt is from Chapter 1, “Greens and Crucifers.”
Just like the addictive appetizer found at numerous chain restaurants, this dip is delicious. Unlike that insanely unhealthy dish, this version is actually good for you! It includes nutritional yeast, an excellent source of vitamin B12, which is hard to come by in a vegan diet, as well as thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B6, and niacin. It’s free of overly processed ingredients and chock-full of delicious nutrient-dense ingredients, making it quite a healthy appetizer.
• 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours and drained
• 1 cup water
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup almond meal
• 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
• 2-1/2 cups tightly packed chopped spinach
• 1 cup packed chopped canned (oil-free) artichoke hearts
• 3 scallions, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the drained cashews in a food processor along with the water, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and almond meal and blend until very smooth, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the nutritional yeast and blend again until well combined. Transfer to a bowl and combine with the spinach, artichoke hearts, and scallions.
4. Place in a ceramic baking dish (about 8 x 4 inches) and spread evenly.
5. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
6. Serve warm with chips or veggies; I love this dip served with raw broccoli florets.
15.6 g fat
265 mg sodium
502 mg potassium
16.2 g carbohydrates
9.8 g protein
More from Naturally Lean:
Excerpted from Naturally Lean: 125 Nourishing Gluten-Free, Plant-Based Recipes — All Under 300 Calories, by Allyson Kramer. Copyright © 2016. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.