Leon Happy Salads (Octopus Books, 2016), by Jane Baxter and John Vincent, was founded on the twin principles that food can taste good and do you good too. This new addition to Leon series cookbooks brings together 100 recipes for fresh, vibrant, delicious salads that are healthy and happy. The following excerpt is from the “Lunchbox” section.
Beats chicken and sweetcorn sandwich filler, hands down. But you already knew that.
Wheat Free — Gluten Free — Dairy Free
• 100g (3-1/2oz) cooked chicken breast, cut into strips
• 1/2 an avocado, sliced
• 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
• 4 spring onions, chopped
• 1/2 a Little Gem lettuce
• 50g (1-3/4oz) black beans, drained
• 1 cob of sweetcorn, kernels removed and roughly chopped
• 1/2 a clove of garlic, crushed
• 1 red chilli, chopped
• 1 shallot, chopped
• 1 piquillo pepper, chopped
• juice of 1/2 a lime
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Arrange all the salad ingredients on a plate or in a jar if you’re a hipster.
2. Mix together the dressing ingredients and season well. Drizzle over the salad.
For more healthy salad recipes visit:
Reprinted with permission from Leon Happy Salads, by Jane Baxter and John Vincent and published by Octopus Books, 2016.