Cooked shallots and toasted bread crumbs add flavor and texture to this Zucchini Ribbon Salad that even a zucchini hater will like.
Adding a little Parmesan gives this Zucchini Ribbon Salad an Italian twist.
2 small zucchinis (about 1 pound), stemmed
7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more as needed
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Zest of 1 lemon plus juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Using a mandoline, cut zucchini lengthwise into paper-thin ribbons and transfer to a strainer set over a bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and let stand until zucchini softens, about 10 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook until light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add breadcrumbs to the skillet and return to low heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and toast breadcrumbs, stirring frequently until light golden brown; transfer to a small bowl and toss with lemon zest and salt and pepper.
4. To finish dressing, add lemon juice to shallots and, while whisking, slowly drizzle in about 3 tablespoons olive oil until emulsified and thick; season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer drained zucchini to a serving platter, add 1/4 cup toasted breadcrumbs and gently toss to combine. Drizzle dressing evenly over zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle remaining breadcrumbs over the top. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Why this recipe sings: Cooking shallots until golden brown completely changes their flavor from onionlike to almost nutty.
If you have it: Stir some grated Parmesan into the cooled toasted breadcrumbs before sprinkling them over the zucchini for an Italian twist.
For more 5-ingredient recipes, see the original article, “5-Ingredient Recipes for Simple Cooking.”
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE