Try this homemade curry powder in a variety of dishes at home.
Tamil Nadu Curry Powder
This recipe is adapted from Lord Krishna’s Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking (Bala Books, 1987).
• 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
• 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
• 1-1/2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
• 1-1/2 teaspoons yellow split peas
• 6 to 8 whole dry chile pods
• 25 to 30 curry leaves, preferably fresh
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, preferably Malabar
• 1/3 cup ground coriander seeds
• 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
1. Combine the cumin, mustard, fenugreek, split peas, and curry leaves in a skillet. 2. Dry-roast over low heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until the seeds and legumes darken. (Heat dried curry leaves only 1 to 2 minutes.) 3. Remove the pan from the heat and add the peppercorns. 4. In small batches, grind the roasted spices in a mortar, coffee mill, or spice grinder until reduced to a fine powder. 5. Add the coriander and turmeric and mix well. Store in an airtight container for as long as 4 months.
Read the original article: Cooking with Yamuna Devi: Traditional Indian Taste.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE