Enjoy the succulent flavor of elk in this recipe for roasted elk loin rack.
Roasted Elk Loin Rack
This recipe is part of a beautiful multicourse meal called Elk Tasting, which includes Elk Loin Chop with Celery Root and Truffle Salt, Elk Liver with Pearl Onions and Quince-Vanilla Bean Gastrique, and Elk and Wild Mushroom Crépinette.
24-ounce elk loin rack, trimmed
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Red Wine Sauce:
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces meat trimmings, preferably elk
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic
1 bottle red wine
2 cups demi-glace
2 branches thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon cold butter
1. Marinate elk in a mixture of garlic, herbs and oil for 2 to 4 hours.
2. Wipe off excess garlic, season with salt and pepper, and sear in a hot sauté pan. Brown on all sides, then place in a 450°F oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes or until internal temperature is 130°F.
3. While meat cooks, make Red Wine Sauce (instructions below).
4. When meat is done, let it rest 4 to 5 minutes, then slice each loin between each bone into 4 slices and sprinkle with a bit more salt.
5. Fan out loins on a plate and drizzle with wine sauce (excess sauce can be served separately). Serve immediately.
To make Red Wine Sauce:
1. Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium sauté pan and heat for about 1 minute or until the olive oil looks hot and glassy. Immediately add elk trimmings, carrot, celery, onion and garlic; cook over medium-high to high heat until caramel color develops.
2. Pour red wine into pan and scrape the flavorful brown bits as they become cooked onto the pan. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by three quarters.
3. Add demi-glace, thyme and bay leaf, and simmer until reduced by three quarters. Pour through a fine-gauge strainer, then whisk in the cold butter and season with salt and pepper.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE