Makes 8 scones
These tarragon-spiked breakfast favorites are superb. For a tasty change, add low-glycemic pizza toppings.
• 1½ cups whole wheat flour
• ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats or spelt flakes
• 3 tablespoons organic cane sugar crystals or granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon*
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup buttermilk
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large egg
* Or, substitute fresh oregano, marjoram, thyme and/or sage.
Optional Pizza Toppings: tomato sauce, hummus, black bean spread, cooked chicken, smoked salmon, tuna, onion, peppers, mushrooms, shredded cheddar, feta cheese, additional herbs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. Make scones: In a bowl, combine flour, oats, cane sugar, tarragon, baking powder and salt. With a fork, beat olive oil and egg into buttermilk. Use fork to mix liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Dough should be dry enough to handle. If not, add up to ¼ cup additional flour.
3. Turn dough onto prepared baking sheet. Pat dough into a circle about 6 inches in diameter and 1-inch-thick. Using a sharp knife, cut circle of dough into 6 wedges.
4. Bake 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool. Store scones in an airtight container up to 3 days. Or, store in a freezer bag in freezer up to 1 month.
5. To make pizzas: Split a scone in half and arrange on a baking sheet. Spread about 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, hummus or bean spread over each half. Top with chicken or fish, vegetables and herbs. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over top. Bake at 400 degrees 8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Click here for the main article, 6 Healthful Breakfast Recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE