Start your day with deliciously healthful herbal scones, muffins and breads.
Makes 6 cups
This mixture is so versatile you’ll want to keep a supply in the refrigerator to use at breakfast and other meals. Substitute granola for old-fashioned rolled oats in any recipe; use it as a topping for casseroles; or combine it with yogurt and fruit for a quick and wholesome breakfast.
• 2 cups spelt flakes*
• 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
• ½ cup bran flakes
• 2/3 cup chopped almonds
• 1/3 cup sesame seeds
• ½ cup sunflower seeds
• ¼ cup chopped walnuts
• ½ cup honey
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground ginseng, optional
• ½ cup chopped dried apricots
• ½ cup raisins
• ½ cup dried cranberries
* Use 3 cups rolled oats in total if spelt flakes are not available.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil two rimmed baking sheets.
2. On one prepared baking sheet, spread spelt, oats and bran. On other sheet, spread almonds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and walnuts. Stagger sheets in oven and toast for 8 minutes.
3. Remove sheet with nuts and seeds from oven and cool. Stir grains on the remaining sheet and continue toasting for another 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat honey, cinnamon, ginger and ginseng (if using) until just simmering. Remove from heat.
5. Remove grains from oven and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in toasted nuts. Drizzle warm honey mixture over contents. Add apricots, raisins and cranberries; stir lightly to mix. Cool. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 months.
Click here for the main article, 6 Healthful Breakfast Recipes.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE