Makes 1 1⁄2 cups
Not only is the Mediterranean diet among the world’s healthiest and most delicious, but they’ve raised snacking to an art form. Like Spanish tapas and Chinese dim sum, Mediterranean meze are yummy little bits and bites of savory goodness.
• 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 1 large eggplant
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons tahini (optional)
• Salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place garlic cloves on a small square of aluminum foil and drizzle with a little of the olive oil. Close up the foil and seal around the garlic cloves.
3. Place whole eggplant on a baking sheet and prick with a fork several times. Bake for about 35 minutes or until tender. After 15 minutes of cooking, toss the garlic packet onto the baking sheet.
4. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Using two forks, immediately tear the eggplant open and scrape the pulp right onto the hot baking sheet. This will help evaporate some of the liquid. Discard the skin and transfer the eggplant to a bowl. Open the garlic packet and squeeze the soft garlic cloves onto the eggplant. Continue to shred the eggplant until it’s a spreadable consistency. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Lara Starr and Lynette Shirk’s book, The Frugal Foodie Cookbook: Waste-Not Recipes for the Wise Cook (Viva Editions), was released in September 2009.
Click here for the main article, The Frugal Foodie: 8 Recipes .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE