By Howard Lee Puckett
Serves 4 to 6
This dressing tastes best when using a savory cornbread.
• 2 cups cubed multigrain bread
• 3 cups crumbled cornbread
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1 large celery stalk (with leaves), sliced
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 cup chopped dried apples
• 1/4 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1½ teaspoons minced fresh sage
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 1 tablespoon butter, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread bread cubes on large baking sheet; bake 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until cubes are dry. Set aside to cool.
2. Combine crumbled cornbread and dry bread cubes in a large bowl; set aside.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and celery; continue cooking until onions are golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add sautéed onion mixture, dried apples and next six ingredients to bread mixture; toss to combine. Moisten bread mixture with half of the broth, using two big spoons to combine. Add remaining broth; toss to combine.
5. Increase oven to 350 degrees. Spoon dressing into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. Dot dressing with butter slices. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 to 15 minutes more. Serve warm.
Click here for the main article, 10 Thanksgiving Day Recipes .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE