• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 sweet onion, chopped fine
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1/2 cup whipping cream
• 1/2 pound lump crabmeat
• 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, garlic and celery; sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in potatoes, broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
2. Stir in cream, crabmeat and thyme. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated. Do not boil. Stir in lemon juice.
Caleb Melchior grows unusual herbs and perennials at Sugar Creek Gardens in Kirkwood, Missouri. He is also studying for a Master of Landscape Architecture degree at Kansas State University.
Click here for the main article, Befriending Tenacious Thyme.