This healthy version of traditional Irish Colcannon uses sweet potatoes, leeks and collard greens for a dish high in vitamins A, C and K.
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish made of smashed white potatoes, cabbage or kale, leeks and plenty of butter. This healthy version uses sweet potatoes, leeks and collard greens—bound together with a hint of orange zest—for a dish high in vitamins A, C and K. Though you can substitute any dark leafy greens, collard greens’ gentle smoky flavor perfectly complements sweet potatoes and leeks.
3 very large or 4 medium sweet potatoes
2 medium leeks
1 bunch collard greens
3 tablespoons olive oil
Zest of 1/2 orange
1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sweet cream butter
1. Boil a large pot of water. Peel sweet potatoes if desired. Cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
2. Trim bottom 1/4 inch and top 2 inches from leeks. Slice each in half lengthwise and soak in a bowl of water, swishing to remove sand and grit. Repeat with clean water if leeks are gritty. Dry leeks, then chop into 1/4-inch half-moons.
3. Rinse collards, shake to dry and tear each leaf from thickest part of stem (discard stems). Gather leaves, roll like a cigar and chop roughly.
4. Place sweet potatoes in boiling water, and boil for about 15 minutes. Place olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add leeks and stir regularly for 3 to 4 minutes until they begin to soften. Add greens and continue to stir until wilted, no more than 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Cut largest potato chunk in half. If center is hard, cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. When soft to center, drain and return to pot. Add orange zest, salt, pepper and butter. Mash with a handheld potato masher or large fork until you’ve reached desired texture.
6. Add greens and leeks, stir and adjust seasonings to taste. This can be made a day ahead and heated in a covered casserole dish. Serves 4
Read the original article, Take Comfort: 3 Winter Comfort Food Recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE