This Thai favorite is traditionally served with steamed rice and a side salad of lettuce, cucumber, basil and cilantro to aid digestion.
Thai Shrimp Curry
This Thai favorite is traditionally served with steamed rice and a side salad of lettuce, cucumber, basil and cilantro to aid digestion. Shrimp are low in mercury, and Seafood Watch recommends you choose domestic rather than imported shrimp. U.S. shrimp trawlers use turtle-safe nets, and U.S. environmental laws minimize the damage shrimp farms cause to mangrove forests.
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 shallots, sliced
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground chili paste (optional)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces and bruised with knife
1-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into
3 cups coconut cream or canned coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, steamed; follow package directions
Shrimp and Vegetables:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound U.S. trawl-caught or farmed shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 yellow onion, cubed
1 carrot, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds and blanched
1/2 cup cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces and blanched
1 cup green beans, trimmed, sliced lengthwise and blanched
1 cup asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths and blanched
1 cup broccolini, cut into 2-inch lengths and blanched
1 ripe tomato, core removed and cut into thin strips
3 kaffir lime leaves, cut into slivers
10 fresh Thai basil leaves, julienned
To make curry sauce:
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over moderate heat. Add shallots, garlic, curry powder, turmeric and chili paste and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add soy sauce, lemongrass and ginger and stir for another 30 seconds. Add coconut cream, salt and sugar; bring to a boil.
3. Allow sauce to cool, then purée in blender and strain through a course sieve to remove lemongrass and ginger. You may refrigerate the sauce, covered, for up to a week.
To make rice:
1. Steam 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, following package directions.
To prepare shrimp and vegetables:
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over moderate heat; add shrimp and sauté until half cooked. Add 1 cup curry sauce and bring to a simmer. (If you prefer a saucier curry, add 1 1/2 cups.) Refrigerate the rest for later use.
2. Add onion; blanched carrots, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus and broccolini; and tomato. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Just before serving, stir in lime and basil leaves. Remove from heat; serve over steamed rice.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE