Makes 2 dozen
These hearty muffins from Vicky Mosser of Irving, Kentucky are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a midafternoon snack.
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1 1/2 teaspoons green powdered stevia leaf
• 1 egg
• 3/4 cup milk
• 1/4 cup oil, or 1/4 cup applesauce
• 1 medium apple, cored and chopped coarsely
• 3/4 cup raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients thoroughly. In a medium bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the moist ones. Spoon the batter into greased muffin tins. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
David Richard is an herb enthusiast and a health writer/publisher who lives in a wooded area outside of Chicago. This article is adapted from his book Stevia Rebaudiana: Nature’s Sweet Secret (Blue Heron Press, 1997).
Click here for the main article, Stevia: Naturally Sweet Recipes .