Classic Strawberry Shortcake
Everyone loves this classic American favorite, but you’ll love it even more with homemade buttery shortcakes.
1 1/4 cups strawberries
1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup whole milk
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 tablespoon coarse raw sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice strawberries and mix with 1/4 cup sugar. Cover and refrigerate.
3. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, 1/3 cup sugar and butter using a pastry cutter or two forks, until the mixture looks like bread crumbs.
4. Stir in milk until combined.
5. Knead dough several times, and pat it out on a lightly floured surface until it’s about 1/2-inch-thick.
6. Cut circles out of the dough using a 2 1/2-inch circular pastry cutter.
7. Place shortcakes on an ungreased cookie sheet, brush tops with egg yolk and sprinkle with raw sugar.
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
9. Using a hand mixer or whisk, whip cream with vanilla until soft peaks are formed.
10. To serve, split shortcakes in half, and layer with whipped cream and berries.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE