Serve this spinach quiche as a light dinner with a salad or as a hearty breakfast dish.
• 1 medium butternut squash
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 6 ounces fresh spinach leaves, thick stems removed
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
• 1 nine-inch pie shell, unbaked
1. Halve and seed the squash. Place it cut side down in a baking dish with 1/4 inch of water. Bake, uncovered, at 400°F for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the spinach, cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the spinach wilts.
3. In a large bowl, lightly scramble the eggs, milk, thyme, nutmeg, garlic and pepper. Fold in the spinach and cheese. Pare the cooled squash, cut it into 1-inch cubes, and add the cubes to the cheese mixture.
4. Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake, uncovered, at 425°F for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 400°F, and bake 30 minutes longer, or until the top is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
—Sandy Richardson, Louisville, Colorado
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE