When served over rice or rice noodles, this rich, flavorful Thai Coconut Soup makes a full meal.
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups coconut milk
1 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 rib celery, sliced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
1 stalk lemongrass
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Thai green curry paste (or to taste)
1 tablespoon brown sugar, rapadura or other natural sweetener
1 tablespoon fish sauce (or vegetarian version or tamari)
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 block firm tofu, cubed
1 head bok choy, sliced
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Combine stock and coconut milk in a large saucepan or cast iron pot.
2. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, ginger, lemongrass, curry paste, sweetener and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer.
3. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add mushrooms, tofu and bok choy. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
4. Flavor with lime juice and more fish sauce, if desired.
5. Serve over cooked brown rice or rice noodles, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Read the original article, Soup's On: Hearty Winter Soup Recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE