Chutneys are thick, spicy sauces of Indian origin that are used as condiments. This one, which requires no cooking, combines aromatic mint and cilantro leaves with hot peppers and sour citrus juice. It’s as good on home fries and chili as it is with poached fish or grilled chicken breast.
Makes 1 1/2 cups
• 1 onion, coarsely chopped
• 2 Thai peppers, coarsely chopped (wear rubber gloves)
• 1 cup fresh Vietnamese mint or spearmint leaves
• 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
• 2 cloves garlic
• Salt to taste
• 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
• 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon cumin seed
• 1/2 cup water
1. Puree all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Add more water if the mixture seems too thick. Turn into a serving dish. Keeps 1 week in the refrigerator.
Click here for the original article, Small World, Big Taste.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE