This thick, hearty onion soup is perfect for a chilly winter evening. Serve it with a crisp green salad and slices of whole-grain bread for a satisfying meal.
• 1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
• 3 green onions, sliced
• 1 leek, thinly sliced
• 1 stalk celery, sliced
• 1 carrot, diced
• 2 tablespoons barley
• 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• Salt to taste
• 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
• 6 cups water
• 1/4 cup green cabbage, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese for garnish
• 2 tablespoons sliced green onions for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the cabbage and garnishes. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
2. Add the cabbage and more water if the soup is too thick. Simmer 20 minutes longer. Adjust the seasoning.
3. Ladle into four soup bowls. Serve hot with 1/2 tablespoon parmesan cheese and green onions sprinkled on top of each serving.
—Cynthia Miville, Anchorage, Alaska
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE