Savory meets sweet in this healthful Sautéed Salmon with Blackberry Sauce.
Use fresh blackberries when making this Sautéed Salmon with Blackberry Sauce for a richer flavor.
With one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits, blackberries are abundant in gallic acid, rutin and ellagic acid, a known cancer preventive. SAUTÉED SALMON WITH BLACKBERRY SAUCE SERVES 4
• 1 1/2 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
• 3/4 cup pineapple juice
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon chile powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
• 4 salmon fillets (1 1/2 pounds total)
• Garlic salt and lemon pepper seasoning, to taste
1. Combine blackberries, juice, ketchup, brown sugar and chile powder in a saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch until thoroughly mixed. Bring contents of pan to a gentle boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until sauce thickens; set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add salmon fillets and sprinkle with garlic salt and lemon pepper to taste. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until fillets flake easily with a fork.
3. Remove sautéed salmon to individual plates and drizzle with blackberry sauce. Serve extra blackberry sauce on the side.
Kris Wetherbee is a freelance writer and frequent contributor. She lives in the hills of western Oregon with her photographer husband, Rick Wetherbee. Visit her website at Rick & Kris Wetherbee.
Click here for the main article, Health Benefits of Berries.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE