• 3 bunches baby carrots with tops (about 1 1⁄4 pounds)
• 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
• 2 large sprigs fresh sage
• 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
• 10 mixed peppercorns
• Pinch coarse salt
• Rosemary sprigs, sage sprigs and coarse salt, for garnish
1. Scrape carrots and cut off tops, leaving a 3⁄4-inch stem.
2. Combine carrots and next 5 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until carrots are crisp-tender.
3. Serve carrots with a ladle of broth.
Caleb Melchior studies landscape architecture at Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas. When not working in the design studio, he writes about food and works in the garden.
Click here for the main article, Sage Varieties: Growing Tips and Recipes .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE