The cream in these beautiful Raspberries and Cream Popsicles creates a lovely swirl effect and delectably rich flavor. The following recipe is excerpted from People’s Pops (Ten Speed Press, 2012), a recipe book filled with icy treats inspired by fresh, seasonal offerings. This passage is from the chapter “Early Summer.”
Raspberries and Cream Popsicles Recipe
• 1 pound (4 cups) raspberries
• 2/3 cup (5 fl oz) simple syrup (see recipe below)
• 1/2 cup (4 fl oz) heavy cream
1. Purée the raspberries in a food processor or smash with a potato masher. Transfer them to a bowl or measuring pitcher with a pouring spout and add the simple syrup. Stir well and taste; significant seasonal variation in raspberries means the sweetness of your mixture may need tweaking. Add the cream and stir very, very minimally. The swirl effect in the finished pop is an aesthetic (and gustatory) effect really worth trying to achieve, and the act of pouring the cream into the molds will do a lot to homogenize the mixture, so don’t overmix it.
2. Pour the mixture into your ice pop molds, leaving a little bit of room at the top for the mixture to expand. Insert sticks and freeze until solid, 4 to 5 hours. Unmold and transfer to plastic bags for storage or serve at once. Makes 10 popsicles.
Simple Syrup Recipe
• 2/3 cup (5 oz) organic cane sugar
• 2/3 cup (5 fl oz) water
1. Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is transparent. Turn off the heat and let cool. Add any spices before the mixture starts to simmer; add any herbs only after you’ve turned off the heat. Store plain and infused syrups in sealed containers in the fridge. Makes 1 cup (8 fl oz).
More Homemade Popsicles Recipes
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from People’s Pops: 55 Recipes for Ice Pops, Shave Ice, and Boozy Pops from Brooklyn’s Coolest Pop Shop by Nathalie Jordi, David Carrell, and Joel Horowitz, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group.