From Gluten-Free Made Simple by Carol Field Dahlstrom, Elizabeth Dahlstrom Burnley, and Marcia Schultz Dahlstrom. Copyright © 2011 by the authors and reprinted by permission of St. Martin’s Griffin. The following excerpt can be found on Page 47.
Delightfully chewy and so very fresh, this quinoa version of tabbouleh will become a standard side dish to serve with grilled beef or fish. Quinoa is naturally gluten-free and easy to digest. SERVES 4
• 1/2 cup quinoa
• 1 cup gluten-free chicken broth such as Better Than Bouillon®
• 3/4 cup chopped cucumber
• 1/2 cup snipped fresh parsley
• 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
• 1 tablespoon snipped fresh mint
• Tabbouleh Dressing
• 3/4 cup chopped tomato
• 4 lettuce leaves
1. Place quinoa in a colander and rinse with warm water for 2 minutes. Note: quinoa must be rinsed VERY WELL to remove the bitterness on the seed. In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup chicken broth. Bring to a boil and let cook until quinoa splits and absorbs most of the chicken broth, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool.
2. In a large bowl combine quinoa, cucumber, parsley, green onions, and mint. Drizzle with Tabbouleh Dressing and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. Stir tomato into quinoa mixture just
1. In a screw-top jar combine 2 tablespoons water, 3 tablespoons canola oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
2. Cover and shake well.
Click here for the main article, From Our Bookshelf: What is Gluten?