Toasted Rice Pilaf
Just a few minutes on the stovetop give plain rice a toasty flavor.Cooking slowly in the oven makes it tender.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup brown rice, rinsed
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1⁄8 cup dried cherries
1⁄8 cup dried apricots, julienned
2 1⁄2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup parsley, finely minced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add rice.
3. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice browns and you hear pops. Add celery, onions, cherries and apricots. Stir to coat.
4. Sauté until onion is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
5. When mixture boils, cover pan and place in oven.
6. Bake for 1 hour, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
7. Remove from oven, stir, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE