Potato Garlic Soup with Chives and Lemon Zest
The chives and lemon zest are my own interpretation of a soup I once tasted in Provence, but the wonderful garlic-flavored broth is undeniably authentic.
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- In a large pot, combine the garlic, broth, potatoes, 1/2 cup of the chives, oil, salt, pepper, and parsley. Bring to a boil and simmer, partly covered, for 30 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the solid ingredients to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth, then return to the pot. Stir in the milk and heat through on medium low.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the remaining chives and the lemon zest.