Poached salmon is high in vitamin B12, important for increasing energy and maintaining a healthy nervous system. Parsley contains both beta-carotene and vitamin C. Pumpkin seeds contain tyrosine.
Pumpkin Seed Parsley Sauce
• 1 clove garlic, peeled
• ½ bunch fresh parsley, with stems, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
• ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
• 1½ tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
• 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• ¼ teaspoon iodized salt
• ½ cup poaching water from fish, optional
• 1½ pounds salmon fillet
• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon iodized salt
• 1 bay leaf
• 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Make the sauce ahead of time, and set aside. With a food processor running, drop the garlic through the feed tube. Stop the processor and scrape down the sides, then add the parsley, seeds, and cheese. Start the processor and immediately pour the oil through the feed tube in a steady stream. Stop the processor again, and scrape down the sides; stir well and reprocess. Scrape the contents of the sauce into a 2-cup or larger bowl and stir in the lemon juice and salt.
2. Fill a deep pan with enough fresh water to immerse the salmon. Add the vinegar, salt, bay leaf, and thyme to the pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Keep the pan uncovered to watch the water, which should be just quivering.
3. Measure the thickest part of the fillet, then place the salmon in the pan. Cook 7 to 8 minutes per inch of thickness. When the fish is half-done, add the water to the sauce mixture, if desired, and stir.
4. Pour three-quarters of the sauce onto a warm serving platter. Check the fish at the thickest part to see that it is cooked. It should be opaque and spring back when pressed with a fork. Place the fish on top of the sauce, and drizzle the remaining sauce in a decorative pattern over the top.
Debbie Whittaker, the Herb Gourmet, lives in Denver, Colorado.
Click here for the original article, Best Foods for Hypothyroidism.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE