This unusual twist on a classic picnic favorite adds a touch of country French to an American picnic table.
This easy-to-make potato salad is satisfying and savory with its combination of homemade garlic mayonnaise and garden herbs.
Photo By Joe Coca
Redolent with fresh garlic and tarragon, this unusual twist on a classic picnic favorite adds a touch of country French to an American picnic table. Substitute fresh dill or cilantro if you don’t like tarragon.
• 4 large russet potatoes
• Apple cider vinegar
• Garlic Mayo (recipe at right)
• 1/3 to 1/2 cup whole fresh tarragon leaves, stripped from stems
• 1 red onion or several chopped scallions
• Salt and pepper
1. Cook and peel the potatoes. Dice them when they’re nearly cooled and douse them liberally with apple cider vinegar. Pouring on vinegar while the potatoes are still warm allows the vinegar to soak in.
2. Add Garlic Mayo, fresh tarragon and chopped onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend. Serves 4 to 6
Making mayonnaise in a food processor, blender or with a handheld immersion blender is easy. Use it for potato salad, to top off grilled asparagus or as an artichoke dip. Once you’ve had homemade, you’ll never go back to the store-bought stuff. For a special ice-breaking activity at a dinner party, give each guest a glass of wine, these ingredients, and a mortar and pestle, and let them make the mayo by hand!
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 large egg
• 4 or more cloves garlic, pressed
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 1/2 cups oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the vinegar, egg, pressed garlic and mustard in a food-processor bowl and turn it on. With the machine running, slowly pour the oil in a steady stream through the top.
2. Although it defies logic, the more oil you add, the thicker the mayo becomes. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 4 to 6
For more herb-infused recipes check out Recipes for the Perfect Summer Picnic.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, hands-on workshops, and great food!LEARN MORE