What better way to celebrate summer than to pack a basket with goodies straight from the garden and head for the nearest beach, meadow or hillside?
Serves 4 to 6
Making mayonnaise in a food processor, blender or with a handheld immersion blender is easy. Use it for potato salad, to top off grilled asparagus or as an artichoke dip. Once you’ve had homemade, you’ll never go back to the store-bought stuff. For a special ice-breaking activity at a dinner party, give each guest a glass of wine, these ingredients, and a mortar and pestle, and let them make the mayo by hand!
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 large egg
• 4 or more cloves garlic, pressed
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1½ cups light vegetable oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place vinegar, egg, pressed garlic and mustard in a food-processor bowl.
2. With the machine running, slowly pour the oil in a steady stream through the top. Although it defies logic, the more oil you add, the thicker the mayo becomes.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
Lynn Alley is a freelance food and wine writer living in San Diego, California.
Click here for more summer picnic recipes from the original article, Picnic Ideas and Recipes .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE