Pair It With: Red Zinfandel
• 1 lemon
• 1 lime
• 1 orange
• 3 cups mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
• 1⁄2 cup sugar
• 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves
• 1 tablespoon lemon verbena leaves
• 2 cups Red Zinfandel, chilled
• Mint sprigs, for garnish
1. Add zest from the lemon, lime and orange to a saucepan, then slice fruits in half. Squeeze the juice from each into pan, and remove any seeds that may have fallen in.
2. Add berries, sugar and herbs. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, strain out herbs and let cool.
3. Stir in red wine, and pour mixture into a 13-by-9-inch glass dish. Cover and place in the freezer.
4. About every 20 minutes, remove pan and scrape and stir the contents. Continue doing this until there is no longer any liquid. Serve with a sprig of mint.
Tabitha Alterman is the food editor at Mother Earth News and Natural Home magazines. She wonders if a small-fishbowl-sized glass counts as ONE glass of wine.
Click here for the main article, 50 Ways to Pair Wine with Herbs.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE