Makes 16 squares
Another of Pat Reppert’s favorites, these lemony treats are adapted from an old standard. For a more intense herbal flavor, stir a tablespoon of finely chopped lemon-flavored herbs into the lemon filling.
• 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup powdered sugar
• 1/3 cup melted butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 eggs, slightly beaten
• Juice of half a lemon (about 1/4 cup)
• 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
• Tiny leaflets of sweet cicely or small, tender leaves of lemon balm
1. Sift the flour and powdered sugar together. Stir in the melted butter, and press the dough into an 8-by-8-inch square baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the sugar and baking powder. Add the eggs, lemon juice, and zest, and mix well.
3. Remove the crust from the oven to cool for 10 minutes. Pour the lemon filling over it, return the pan to the oven, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes longer, or until the filling is firm in the center.
4. Cool on a wire rack and then chill in the refrigerator. Cut into squares and garnish with herb sprigs or leaves.
Click here for the original article, National Herb Week Recipes .