Harold’s, the only Jewish-style deli in my hometown of Knoxville, Tenn., recently closed, but I still have fond memories of the red beet-horseradish spread set at every table and this bagel spread captures its essence. I enjoy the pungent flavor of horseradish, so adjust the seasonings to suit your tastes.
• 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
• 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
• 1/4 cup canned or cooked beets, mashed
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1. In a mixing bowl, whip cream cheese and vinegar with a handheld mixer about 1 minute or until creamy. Gently fold in beets, black pepper and horseradish and stir until combined. Spoon mixture into a serving bowl and serve immediately.
2. Leftovers will keep 3 days in the refrigerator.
Regular Herb Companion contributor Rose R. Kennedy loves experimenting in her Knoxville, Tenn., kitchen with homegrown herbs.
Click here for the main article, Make Herbal Spreads, Dips and Butters .